The rules are the rules...

The Goodie Bag...

35 - AEL Milling Mielie Marathon, Welkom, South Africa - 20 January 2018

On 31 December 2017, while I was “taking stock” of my 17 Marathons for 2017 medals, my daughter, Kami, asked me if I was going to run 18 marathons in 2018. I told her that I had initially challenged myself to run 18 marathons in 2018, 19 marathons in 2019 and the list goes on, but I now had other ideas. Instead of fixing the number of marathons at 18, the 2018 challenge was to run at least 18 marathons. In other words, the goal was to run as many marathons as I could, provided they were at least 18. This marked the birth of the AtLeast18MarathonsFor2018 challenge.

Missing the Prison to Prison Marathon 2017 because of a delayed flight reminded me not to leave things for the last minute. The Prison to Prison Marathon was the last marathon on my list for 2017. It was scheduled for 9 December. Missing this race put the 17 marathons for 2017 challenge into serious jeopardy. Luckily, there was one very small marathon on the calendar and not far from Johannesburg. I was able to complete my 17 Marathons for 2017 challenge at this race.

To avoid a repeat of the anxious moments of December 2017, I decided to run as many marathons as possible during the first half of 2018. This way, I would be able to hit the 18 marathons mark early, and with many marathons still available, in the year. The Mielie Marathon was the first marathon on the calendars of all provinces that I looked at. When I noticed that it was Welkom, a 3-hour drive from Johannesburg, I decided to try it. I had never set foot in Welkom before. This was going to be some form of runcation very early in the year. It also gave me an opportunity to add a new marathon to my 100BEFORE40 list. That was it, the 100BEFORE40 train was going Welkom.

I arrived in Welkom on Friday afternoon around 16h00. I checked into my B&B and took a nap for a few hours. I then collected my “goodie bag” and race number later that evening. 
The start of the race was a low-key affair. There were not too many people running the marathon. I doubt if they exceeded 200. Everyone seemed excited and ready to take on the 2018 running season. The race started at exactly 05h30. For the first 10 or so kilometers, the people that I ran past or ran past me all looked excited and ready for this. Many flew past me and made me question my fitness so early into the race and the year. 

I had a vague idea of the course and understood it to be flat. I did not think it was literally flat. There were a few bumps on the route elevation profile that I had seen. These, however, turned out to be bridges over railway lines or roads underneath. Being the first race of the year, I set the pacer on my watch for a 3:55:50 finish. I then divided my race into four laps of 10km each. I would run the first 10km lap about two minutes behind my target time. For the second 10km lap, I would ramp up the speed a bit to about 2 minutes ahead of my target time. The third 10km lap would be a repeat of the first 10km lap. The fourth would be a repeat of the second 10km lap. The last two kilometers and two hundred meters depended on whether I was ahead of or behind schedule. This was a great plan on paper. I just had to implement it with some degree of military precision.

I managed to stick to the plan until about 37 kilometers. At that stage, it was a mind over body affair. Mathematically I could still make it, and I had my mind set on it. However, the body had other ideas. No matter how hard I tried, the pace stayed the same, behind the targeted time. At about 38 kilometers, I came across a guy that was lying on the road side almost lifeless. I initially ran past him, but stopped about 10 kilometers away and went back to check on him. He looked finished and completely out of it. I asked him if he wanted me to call an ambulance for him. He assured me, albeit in a not so convincing manner, that he was fine and he would finish the race slowly. I then left and continued with my own struggle.
As I had sort of predicated, the last two kilometers were anybody’s game. I was about three minutes behind schedule. There was not much energy left in the tank and all the hope of a "sub-4 hour finish" start to the year were fading with every step. This two-kilometer stretch seemed longer than a Saturday morning Parkrun. I must have given up on the sub 4 finish three or four times during these last two kilometers. The 41st kilometer was the most taxing. I took three walk breaks in that kilometer stretch. One of the marshals assured me that I was in with a good chance for a sub-4 hour finish and I should not throw that chance away. I don’t know if he meant it, but that was the motivation that I needed. I then upped the tempo from that point until the finish line. I got to the home stretch with about a minute and a half before the clock hit four hours. At that moment, I realized that I could even walk to the finish line and still finish under four hours. I resisted the temptation to walk and ran the home stretch head up, stomach in and chest out, hiding all the fatigue.

As I crossed the finish line, one Tannie came to me and asked me whether I had a letter from the Zimbabwe athletics federation to run outside Zimbabwe. That became the highlight of the race for me and I shared the ordeal on Facebook in detail (see below).

Besides Tannie’s antics, I had every reason to celebrate the Mielie Marathon. I had started the year, and the AtLeast18MarathonsFor2018 challenge with a bang. It was a sub-4  hour finish!!!

As you, or should, by now know, if it is not on Facebook, it did not happen. I made sure that the Mielie Marathon had happened by recording the race as follows:

#100BEFORE40 Marathon_1_of-@least18_Marathons_for_2018, Mielie Marathon fully loaded, 3:59:13. Great way to start the 2018 running season. One down, at least 17 more to go. Lots of water and cola at water stations (because there were not too many peopleπŸ˜„). Very flat and a good race to get a fast qualifying time for those who are seeking to qualify for the Big C or OMTOM. Almost got disqualified at the end. One Tannie asked me why I was wearing my Zim Flag vest. Told her because I am from Zimbabwe. Out of the blue she says where is your letter permitting you to run here? Really nowπŸ˜ πŸ˜ πŸ˜ πŸ™„. I was probably number 110 (because there were a few people running, had there been thousands - I would have been number 1000+). I calmly said I don’t need one. She said the rules are the rules. I then asked what rules? I have a permanent ASA license, that means I am a member of a local club. She then said oh, which club? By that time, I was losing patience and told her that you should have started there Tannie, instead of asking me about a letter. She didn’t like it, but it was a fact. Anyway, she then checked my race number, saw Team Vitality and said okay you can go. Maybe that is what the rules say, but for a marathon that battles to attract 500 people to be worrying about those nonsense rules for a social runner like me is just plain silly. Anyway, the referee’s word is final. Road trip time nowπŸƒπŸƒπŸƒπŸš‚πŸš‚πŸš‚πŸƒπŸΏ

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Welcome home...the smoke thunders here

The 3 Amigos - I was ready, ready and ready